Hrusikesh Panda (IAS), writer
Hrusikesh Panda is a well
known fiction writer of Orissa. Though he has established
himself as a composite artiste, he is noted primarily as a
major writer of fiction in Oriya, for his intense
understanding of rural and ethnic myths and situations,
bold and authentic handling of social themes, original
imagery, passionate humanism, his command over Oriya
diction and idiom, and the sheer brilliance.
Hrusikesh has published seven novels, eight collections of
short stories and four plays. Besides he has written some
essays on contemporary issues. He has made several short
films, both feature and non-feature, for which he has
composed the music.
His educational qualification includes: M.Sc. in
Chemistry, Diploma in Social Work, MBA from Australia, and
Ph.D. in English [Relationship between Society and
Literature: A Study in creative writing].
He topped the Indian Civil Services Examination 1979 and
opted for Orissa as his workplace. Most of his career has
been devoted to work for the poor and the disadvantaged.
He has also worked with the Govt. of India in the Ministry
of Textiles and in the Indian Parliament.
Oriya literature Titles Published originally in
* Shun Sange Samayika Sandhi (1984) [A Temporary Liaison
with Zero], Grantha Mandir, Cuttack.
* Harina Pithire Ajana Suryastaku (1986) [Unto the Unknown
Sunset on the back of a Dear], Friends Publishers, Cuttack.
* Sunaputara Loke (1991) [The people of the Golden
Village], Grantha Mandir, Cuttack.
* Subarna Dweepa (1994) [The Golden Island], Friends
* Shruti 1994 (1995) [Shruti 1994], Friends Publishers,
* Hasa O Itihasa (1999) [Laughter and History], Friends
* Dasyu (2002) [The Evil], Friends Publishers, Cuttack.
* Editor, Oriya short stories section, Masterpieces of
Indian Literarature, National Book Trust, New Delhi, 1997.
* Contributor and co-editor of Oriya Poetics in
Encyclopaedia of Indian Poetics, Sahitya Academy, New
Delhi and UNESCO, ongoing project, 2009.
Short story collections
* Bahare Chhida Hoithiba Loka (1982) [The Man Standing
Outside], Friends Publishers, Cuttack
* Rebati (1983) [Rebati], Orissa Book Store, Cuttack
* Rajaputra (1987) [The Prince], Vidyapuri, Cuttack
* Sahabdebata (1989) [The Sahib God], Friends Publishers,
* Proudha Bhavana (1992) [ Adult Musings], Friends
* Shunyatara Paschatyaku (1994) [Undo the West of
Nothingness], Grantha Mandir, Cuttack
* Bayaskanka Pain Sishu Kahani (1994) [Children’s Tales
for Adults], Vidyapuri, Cuttack
* Miccha Khusi, Sata Dukha (2005) [False Happiness, True
Sorrow], Friends Publishers, Cuttack
* Samagra Galpa Sangraha (Collected Stories Vol.1) Friends
(2008). Collection of stories from Bahare Chhida Hoithiba
Loke, Rebati, Rajaputra, Proudha Bhavana and some
* Sabdantara (1995) [Another Word], Arya Prakashani,
* 1799, Athaba Paanch Jana Ingrez (1996) [1799 or Five
Englishmen], Arya Prakashani, Cuttack.
* Brahmarakshyas (1997) [The Brahmin Demon], Arya
* Vasco Da Gama (2000) [Vasco-da-Gama], Vidya Prakashani,
* Charoti Natak (2008) [Athena Books, Bhubaneswar] ISBN :
13878-81-895 93 – 39-1, A collection of above four plays.
* Arts and Crafts of Ganjam District, Grantha Mandir,
* Ecological Issues In The Context Of Super Cyclone 1999:
A Distinction Between The Intellectual And The Essential,
NIT Rourkela, 2002.
Discussions on the writings of Hrusikesh Panda
* Hrusikeshiya Kathasilpa ( A critique of the prose
writings of Hrusikesh), Editor: Prof Nityananda Satapathy,
Istahar Publications, Bhubaneswar, December, 2006.
* Shunyase Samayik Sandhi, Translation Jagannath Chaudhury,
Pushp Prakashan, New Delhi, 1994.
* Kunmun aur Anyanya Kahaniya, Translation Ram Krishna
Sharma, Prasanti Publications, Indore, 2002.
* Subarndweep, Translation Radhakanta Mishra, Radhakrishna
Prakashan, New Delhi, 2004.
* Hawks and Other Stories, Editor H P P Patnaik, Vikas,
* Unto an Unknown Sunset, Translation Dr. Lipipuspa Nayak,
Vishv Vijay Prakashan, New Delhi, 1994.
* Raghu Granpa and other Stories, Translation Dr.
Lipipuspa Nayak, Lucky Publishers, Berhampur, Orissa,
* Bonsai and other Stories, Translation Dr. Lipipuspa
Nayak, Writers Workshop, Calcutta, 1999.
* A Report of the Starvation Commissioner, Translation of
the story “Anahar Kamishanaranka ek report” by Himanshu
Mahapatra in Indian Literature Mar – April 2006, Sahitya
Academy, New Delhi, 110001.
* God Demon, Translation of Brahmrakshas, Translation Dr.
Lipipuspa Nayak, published by Sahitya Academy, New Delhi,
* “A few broken and crumpled rhombuses,” in For your Eyes
Only Vol.2, ed, Ana Monnar, USA, ISBN 0- 9768035-6-9,
available at Amazon. co.
* Shyen Aru Anyanya Galp, Translation Keshab Mohanta,
Anupam Enterprise, Guwahati, 1992.
* Zinnia Phul O Bando Kapat, Translation Swapna Sambhav
Chudhury, Samata Prakashan, Calcutta 2.
* Sonaputer Manusjan, Translation Swapna Sambhav Choudhury,
Shyamali Publications, 123/1/1, APC Road, Calcutta – 16.
* Hrusikesh Panda Avaryada Oriya Kathagalu, Translation
Several, Karnataka Sahitya Vedike, Bangalore, 1994.
* Ezhu Kaartoonkalum Oru Vanna Ovlyamum, Translation
Tamizh Naadan, The Salem District Contemporary Painters
and Writers Association, Tamil Nadu, 1994.
* “Harina Pithire Ajana Suryastaku” has been translated
into Tamil by Ms. G.Thilakvathi and published in INIA
UDAYAM, January 2006 Issue under the title
* Chorus, Translation Ashok Tankasala, Dachepalli
Hanumantha Rao & Sons, Secunderabad, 1994
Story, screenplay, dialogues, songs and music of the
following TV feature films, documentaries and docu-films:
* Chari Sangata Katha [Tale of Four Friends] *
* Aau Dine [Another Day] *
* Reba [Reba] *
* Safasutura [Cleanliness]
* Bisudha Paniya Jala [Pure Drinking Water]
* Swasthya Raksha [Good Health]
* Lodhas: A Tribe of Orissa
Story, Screenplay, Songs, Music, Voice and
* Sahasradhara [A Thousand Streams] *
* Nua Geet [A New Song] *
* Ghar [A House] *
* Ghasa [The Grass] *
* Sanjukta *
* Vijaya Samman, Bhadrak Pujyapuja Samsad, 2009.
* Satabdira Kalakar Samman, 2007.
* Gokarnika Samman, 2007.
* Kabisurya Baladev Rath Sanskruti Samman, 2006.
* Sulekha Samman, 2005.
* Rajdhani Pustaka Mela Award, 2004 for the novel Dasyu.
* Rajadhani Pustaka Mela Award, 2002 for the play Vasco-da-Gama.
* Central Sahitya Academy Award, 2001, for Tamil
translation of his short stories by poet. Tamizhnadan.
This award was given to Poet Tamizhnadan.
* Padmashri LN Dube Award, Panipath, 2001.
* Phakirmohan Khyudragalpa Award, Utkal Sahitya Samaj,
* Natyabhusan, All India Play Festival, Cuttack, 1999.
* Best Play Award, National Short Play Festival, Allahabad,
* Dakshina Odisa Natak Mohatsav Puraskara For Best Play,
* Chandrabhaga Puraskara, 1995.
* Orissa Sahitya Academy Puraskara, 1995.
* Jhankara Galpa Puraskara, 1995.
* Bhubaneswar Pustak Mela, 1992