The Sambalpuri Bastralaya was registered as a Handloom Co-operative Society under the Orissa Co-operative Societies Acts & Rules during the year 1954. The credit for starting the society goes to Padmashree Dr.Krutartha Acharya whose contribution to Orissa’s Handloom Sector has been second to none. It started its business with effect from 1.7.1954 with an objective to produce highquality handloom fabrics through its members, its affiliated societies and production agents and arrange sale of their products. It has played outstanding role in preserving and propagating the World famous typical Sambalpuri technique of tie and dye (IKAT) in Handloom and promoting Handloom Industry in Orissa. The institution being a leading one in the State is widely known for its efficient commitment for the up-liftment of Shedule Cast, Shedule Tribe and economically backward classes of the society including women. More-over it provides opportunities for the rural based employment in a large scale. It has earned national & international reputation because of high business ethics of its founder Padmashree Dr. Krutartha Acharya. It also plays an important role in the socio-economic development of weavers of Western Orissa.
Sambalpuri Bastralaya Handloom Co-operative Society Ltd, Bargarh is a handloom Cooperative society functioning since 1954 and emerged its kind as an Apex Body in the state of Orissa. It is a Production-cum-marketing unit having its turn-over about Rs.12.00 crore per annum. The society provides raw-materials to its weaver members and collect the finished goods by paying fair wages to them and market their product in its own sales outlets as well as through agents and by participating in Various Expos, and Exhibitions inside and outside the state to generate funds for providing regular employment to the poor weavers of this region as well as to the weavers of the western part of the state of Orissa through the affiliated W.C.S. and also to provide technical know how to them for their socio-economic development.
The society has a Dyeing unit of its own, in which grey yarn about 400 bundles has been dyed to meet the requirement of the production branches for production. The colour used in the fabrics are AZO free and having fastness in rubbing and bleaching. The society has 43 nos. of production centres of its own and marketed its products through its 42 nos own sales outlets and 15 nos of sales representative inside and outside the state of Orissa. The products manufactured by the society are thoroughly checked by technical staff of its quality control section. After that the same is supplied to the sales unit for marketing of defect free product. The production ranges of the society covers production of tie & dye design sarees, dhotis, Lungee, Napkins, Bed-covers, furnishing materials, dress materials and so on of cotton yarn, mercerized yarn, silk yarn and tassar yarn. The range of production is more then 3000 varieties.
Sambalpuri Bastralaya is one of the largest Primary Weavers’ Co-operative Society in the Country.
* It is producing exclusive handloom fabrics as well as undertaking marketing of those products.
* 5952 number of highly skilled weavers with 5345 looms are working under 43 production centres of this society.
* In addition to the above members many weavers from its 90 associated Primary Handloom Societies in the state are also working with it.
Its production estimates to about one fourth of the total Handloom production of the state under the co-operative fold.
* It has a large network of marketing both inside and outside Orissa through its 42 nos of own sales outlets & 15 sales representatives.
* Because of its strong infrastructure network, it functions like an Apex body within the Co-operative frame work of the State.
* With identity of excellence, it produces exclusives of Sarees, Dress Materials, Scarves, Home Furnishings, Bed Covers,Bed Sheets, Table Mats, Handkerchiefs along with other coordinated sets for Drawing, Bed and Dinning Rooms with attractive tie & dye motifs along with jalla & dobby designs in cotton, silk and tassar.
* To give a thrust to the co-operative movement of Orissa.
* To preserve and propagate traditional handloom art and crafts and thereby to promote handloom industry.
* To produce high quality handloom fabrics through its members and arrange sales of their products.
* To uplift the socio-economic condition of the poor weavers from economically backward classes including scheduled caste and scheduled tribe and women category of the society.
* To arrange for providing better educational facilities to the children of the weavers.
* To improve the skill level of the handloom weavers of the society and to increase their wage earning.
* To undertake production of extensive range of fabrics to capture the customers inside the country as well as abroad.
* To produce quality fabrics with attractive designs and competitive price.
* To produce exclusive varieties of exportable products to enter into the global market.
* To provide regular employment to maximum number of weavers under the handloom sector and thereby to improve their economic and social condition.
* To create scope for massive rural employment.
* To provide sustainable livelihood support to the weavers including those from backward, SC and ST classes.
* To provide all possible supports to the organization to enable it grow & prosper under the sector.
* To create continuous worldwide avenue of Sambalpuri Handlooms by adding special identity to it.
* The shoulder the responsibility for the social security of the poor weavers is the cherished goal of the society.
www.odisha.com web directory: http://www.www.odisha.com/2010/sambalpuribastralaya/
|Address :||Sambalpuri Bastralaya Handloom Co-Operative Society Ltd.
|Zip Code :||768028|
|Phone No :||91-6646-230472 , 233140(O) 09437052472 (M)|
|E-mail :||[email protected]|